Wendy Davis' Primary Disaster. (Willisms)
Of non-Texas Democrats in places like New York City and San Francisco, Wendy Davis is perhaps among the dozen or so most popular figures in political life today. Her fundraising from liberals in liberal bastions bears that out. Ronan Farrow and the rest of the MSNBC crowd love her.
In Texas, though, not so much.
The Texas Democrats' primary performance Tuesday was an unmitigated disaster, and the performance of Wendy Davis was particularly abysmal.
The _Austin American-Statesman_ set up a few benchmarks the day before the primary:
> "So is all the hoopla around Wendy Davis and Battleground Texas just so much hype, or are Democratic prospects truly better than four years ago?
"A first test will be whether the party primary draws more than the 680,000 voters who participated four years ago, and if Davis exceeds White’s 517,487 votes in a seven-person field. One would assume that a healthy number of new voters registered by Battleground Texas’ 5,700 volunteer deputy registrars would want to take advantage of their first opportunity to exercise their franchise."
At last count, with 8,742 of 8,745 (99.97%) reporting, Wendy Davis had just 432,025 votes, or 79.05% of the primary vote in a …
8 easy ways boomers can get healthier – MarketWatch
8 easy ways boomers can get healthierMarketWatchThere's no question that as a nation, we need to eat healthier and exercise more. Yet when doctors communicate this need to us individually, it too often feels like we're back in school and have been called to the principal's office. And that's a real …and more »
Questions and Answers
I really want to stay in shape and exercise during the summer, but I don't really know what to follow and depend on…
I was planning to hike (lasts about 3-4 hours per hike) every week….but will that be enough??
And- Is there a specific diet plan I can follow that keeps up with my nutrition yet, is healthy?
Thank you and I appreciate every answer ^_^
Every morning right when you wake up, drink a big glass of ice cold water! (Add lemon if you would like)
-15 minutes after your glass of water, eat a healthy breakfast. (Boiled egg, whole grain slice of toast, some fruit, and a bit of plain Greek yogurt.) (try to get a small amount of all 4 food groups) oatmeal keeps you full.
-keep your breakfasts full of fibre (oatmeal, whole grains, red river cereal, etc) and protein (eggs, turkey, chicken, Greek yogurt, quinoa, etc)
-after your breakfast drink another glass of ice cold water
-snack about 3 hours after your breakfast. (Such as having, Celery, carrots, almonds, fruit, dried fruit, etc) filling but healthy.
-have a filling well balanced lunch. Should be the biggest meal of the day. Keep it healthy! No preservatives!! (Examples: Egg sandwich with avocado instead of mayo. Spinach salad with egg. Quinoa stir fry. Broccoli and salmon and emmer. Vegetable soup with turkey. Etc.)
-3 hours after your lunch drink a large glass of water then have a small healthy snack.
-have supper no later than 7pm
-keep your supper small but filling. Protein packed
-after supper for a treat, have some fruit with yogurt. Or a piece of dark chocolate. Something small.
-once a week have a cheat day, eat what ever you'd like, but keep it no more than 1500 calories.
-do some cardio daily! (Walking, biking, jogging, jumping jacks, etc)
-every second day do some strength training! (Planks, push-ups, sit ups, wall sits, squats, lunges, etc.)
-drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day!
-sleep at least 8 hours a night!
-keep stress to a minimum. (Too much stress causes tummy fat)
-hiking is. A great stress reliever and strength and cardio workout.
-stretch well before and after each and every workout you do!
-when you crave something, don't just ignore it… It will get worse and you will most likely binge at some point, so if your craving something, have a small piece of it and savour each little bite. Just don't go over board!
-I hope those tips help!!
I want to really love working out and eating healthy!
– Exercising with a friend or family member
– Finding a sport you really enjoy, like swimming or horse back riding
– Yoga or Pilates is great, you could try going to a class with a friend or family member
– Working out to upbeat music
– Brisk walk in a beautiful area or on like a beach if you are near one
For healthy eating
– Replace fast food french fries with homemade sweet potato or regular fries (made with a touch of olive oil, salt)
– For chips, you could try natural sweet potato chips, pita chips, fat free popcorn, pop chips, etc.You can also make your own chips by thinly slicing potatoes or sweet potatoes, olive oil, sprinkling with salt & baking them.
– Replace candy: frozen grapes or banana slices, dried mango strips, dried blueberries/cranberries/cherries/papaya, raisins, etc.
– Try a veggie burger on a wheat bun or a tofu hot dog.
– Replace white pasta with whole grain in pasta dishes + add veggies (for example adding baby spinach to pasta, grilled vegetables to lasagna, broccoli/grated carrot/spinach/kale to pasta salad, etc.
– For a creamy pasta sauce try tomato sauce with goat cheese mixed in, for a healthier dish
– Enjoy pizza, but try it on thin multigrain crust topped with fresh veggies.
– "Comfort food'' like mac & cheese with whole grain noodles, organic cheese. Or for grilled cheese, go for whole grain bread, less butter/no butter, not too much cheese.
– To make oatmeal seem like a treat, try it with raspberries, dark chocolate chips or carob chips with vanilla almond milk. Other oatmeal topping ideas: almond butter or peanut butter, nuts, fresh berries/fruit, raisins, dried fruit like cherries/cranberries/blueberries, cinnamon, skim milk or non-dairy milk, nonfat greek yogurt, jam, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, etc.
* Non-dairy milk like – almond, soy or rice milk or nonfat yogurt.
– For healthier treat options try things like: frozen yogurt, vanilla greek yogurt with berries & grated dark chocolate, organic cocoa puffs with vanilla almond milk, etc
– Sandwich filling ideas:
(On whole grain bread like multigrain, ezekiel, rye, whole wheat pita, whole grain tortilla, etc.)
– Smoked salmon & cream cheese
– Pesto, tomato, baby spinach & mozzarella melt
– Falafel & hummus
– Almond or Peanut butter & jam
– Chickpea wrap (with things like grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mixed baby greens, salad dressing, etc.)
– Black bean wrap with salsa & some cheese in a whole grain tortilla
– Veggie burger
– Hummus, lettuce, grated carrot, sliced cherry tomatoes in whole wheat pita halves
– Salad: mixed baby greens, romaine or baby romaine lettuce with things like cherry tomatoes/tomato, cucumber, low-fat salad dressing, red onion, dried cranberries, goat or feta crumbles, walnut crumbles, almond slithers, chopped bell peppers, etc.
* For protein to the salad you can add things like:
– Chickpeas (or mixed beans)
– Grilled cubes of tofu
– Strips of grilled tempeh
– Sliced hard boiled eggs
– Make a salad out of diced mango, dried cranberries, chopped cucumber & goat cheese.
– Kale chips (baked with olive oil + salt)
– Stir fry vegetables in a little olive oil (like broccoli, carrot, zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, kale, etc.) with cubed tofu & put it on a bed of brown/wild rice or whole grain noodles with terriyaki sauce.
Healthy, tasty snack ideas
~ Veggies & hummus, you can also dip them in salad dressing
~ Greek yogurt or regular yogurt
~ Berries/Fruit & nonfat yogurt or greek yogurt – add healthy cereal if you'd like (Kashi; Nature's Path Organic, etc)
~ Apple slices dipped in almond butter or peanut butter
~ Homemade trail mix. Made with nuts, seeds, dried fruit like cherries/blueberries/cranberries, dark chocolate bits or dark chocolate chips.
~ Whole grain crackers with cheese, hummus
~ Nuts (1/4 cup), seeds
~ Small whole grain tortilla with a tbsp of almond or peanut butter & a tbsp of jam – add a small banana if you'd like. You can also try filling the tortilla with things like cream cheese, low-fat ricotta & honey, honey & cinnamon, etc.
~ Plain greek yogurt with berries/fruit – add a drizzle of honey, agave nectar or jam for sweetness
~ Kashi granola bar or Kind fruit & nut bar or a Lara bar
~ Fruit salad
~ Homemade smoothie – blend fruit/berries with 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk of your choice & 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt. Try adding a tbsp or two of ground flax seed if you'd like to.
Here is a website with some good recipes, meal ideas, nutritional information, etc.
I hope this helps =)
If i do exercise everyday, eat no more fast food…..and eat lots of fruit and veg, plenty of water..and again exercise for belly fat,. Will i lose my belly fat? I cant join the gym
Losing ab fat is always difficult and sometimes impossible. Fat is part of a healthy body composition and we need it to survive. Fat only becomes a problem when we have too much. If you have too much, you can probably lose most of it. However, there is no guarantee you can lose it all. Here's the story.
Any exercise will burn calories but no exercise will burn fat unless your diet allows it. You can burn fat in your sleep or you can run all day and never burn any fat. It all depends on your diet.
Fat loss is determined by calorie control, not by exercise. Good exercises for burning calories are speed walking, biking, swimming, and ANY other physical activity which makes you move a lot of weight for a long time. But NO exercise is good for burning fat if you eat too many calories because you can always eat more calories than you can burn.
Too many people waste energy and time because they do not understand this one simple point. The result is too often giving up in frustration, abandoning gym memberships they continue to pay for, and many other unnecessary problems not the least of which is a lack of success.
An average person must walk about five miles every day of the week to burn the calories equivalent to a pound of body fat. So, unless you think walking five miles a day or doing that amount of exercise is for you, focus your fat loss program on diet.
Diet for fat loss. Exercise for fitness.
It is not possible to lose fat only from a specific part of your body of your choosing. Where your body stores and removes fat is determined by your genetics and there is nothing you can do to change that short of radical procedures such as liposuction. And, in general, where it stores fat first is where it will lose it last and visa versa. The world of health and fitness has an unfortunate abundance of myths and spot reduction is one of them. There is no exercise, no pill, no supplements, no spa treatment, and no natural way to spot reduce. Your only choice is to create a caloric deficit with diet and exercise, burn fat, and wait for it to leave the desired body parts.
The abdomen is the most difficult place for most people to lose fat because it's the first place we add fat to our bodies and also the last place we lose it. And, our bodies are designed by evolution to resist the loss of the last of our body fat. That means stripping all of the fat from the abdomen will be a difficult process and virtually impossible for many…usually the endomorph or naturally heavier body type.
If an endomorph (naturally heavy) tries to lose the last vestiges of body fat, their body will shift slowly from burning fat to burning proteins needed to drive the metabolism. That will make the rate of fat loss slow considerably and could also result in the loss of the most protective and productive body tissues, muscle. On the other hand, the ectomorph (naturally thin) will often find fat loss unnecessary as they naturally do not maintain much fat. Male ectomorphs in particular will manifest a ripped abdomen because males tend to store their fat in the abdominal cavity instead of between the skin and the muscle, where females tend to store fat, which obscures the ab muscles. It is the "between" (subcutaneous) fat that gives females that smooth looking abdomen which many males find so attractive (think belly dancer).
Therefor, how easy (or difficult) it will be for you to lose belly fat will depend on your soma (body) type and your gender and, if those variables do not favor fat loss, you may be one of those who will find a ripped abdomen to be an end not worth the means.
That said, buy a $5 pair of calipers and track your percent body fat (See how here –> Http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/h… or here –> Http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p… ). If you get to the low teens (about 10-15%bf) and are still dissatisfied with your abdomen, you are probably not going to have a lean set of abs and you may be fighting a losing battle.
If you need to know how to lose fat, read my answer about how to lose fat —> Http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;…
Good luck and good health!!
PS: Here are some good websites you may find useful.
• A MUST FOR DIETERS Http://www.freedieting.com/
• BEST DIET TOOL ON THE WEB Http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
• BEST FOODS FOR YOU Http://www.choosemyplate.gov/index.html
• NUTRITION DOT GOV Http://www.nal.usda.gov/food-and-nutriti…
Weight Loss: Three Tips For Summer Fitness
Summer is here and many people are still working to lose the weight they gained during fall and winter. The hot weather can make exercising and working out almost unbearable and on a hot summer day it’s hard to resist …